Protests over Jharkhand lynching leads to tension, stone pelting in Agra


major confrontation was averted between the Hindus and Muslims in Agra on Monday when a large group of Muslims, who had taken out a protest march against the mob lynching of Tabrez Ansari in Jharkhand, decided to shutdown a market. The protests and shutdown was opposed by the shopkeepers belonging to the Hindu community.

Violence broke out and both the communities resorted to stone pelting. Local police managed to bring the situation under control. However, situation remains tense and a large contingent of police has been deployed in the violence-struck area.

According to sources, a huge group of Muslims had gathered at the royal Jama Masjid in Agra on Monday to lead a protest march against the killing of Tabrez Ansari in Jharkhand.

Despite prohibition orders under Section 144 of CrPC, the group continued to move towards the collectorate.

Police tried to stop them and used light force to push back the crowd. In the midst of this, rumours spread that a Muslim woman and her child had been abducted by the Hindus.

Enraged by the rumour, a group of Muslim youngsters splintered from the main group and tried to force shut a market in Sadar Bhatti area of the city. Soon, it led to stone pelting.

Police officials present at the spot managed to bring the situation under control.

Hindustani Biradari activists who were present at the scene quickly intervened and prevented the situation from growing worse. A large police contingent led by the SSP Joginder Kumar arrived and took control of the situation.

However, following the stone pelting, Sadar Bhatti, Nai Ki Mandi, Subhash Bazar, Mantola, Fawwara, Kinari Bazar areas remained closed. SSP Joginder Kumar assured that all rioters will be identified from the videos of the incident and will be arrested.

Surprisingly, the Local Intelligence Unit of the police failed to assess the situation despite there being clear indications about possible tension on Monday.